Tuesday 18 March 2008

The World of the Coffee Breaks and Books


AMERICA'S STATUE OF LIBERTY IN NYC

The most wonderful thing about America, for me, at least, is the association of coffee with relaxing, reading books, and of absorbing books with learning. When I first lived in Washington, DC, it took me a while to get over the culture shock of the American way of packaging and presenting food.

Take a Coffee Break in a Book Store

Its important to take regular coffee or tea breaks, walk around, do some stretches, relax and get rid of tensions, chat with some people, laugh and smile, daydream. The coffee that you drink can give gives you stimuli that you need to work smoothly and alertly. My favourite times are the memorable coffee breaks that I have had with family, friends, colleagues at work, strangers around the world, people at conferences, and people in book stores. The best thing for the book store has been its association with coffee and with relaxation. A book store without a coffee shop are no longer attractive.

Food Differences

As a Brit, I felt that American food looked rather soggy. I know this seems strange, and I know Jay Leno's recent comments on late night TV about British food are something similar. His attitude is that British food was pasty, not very appetizing. Boy, have things changed! Now, I think British food is right up there with the best of the best, especially the pub food. Americans have wonderful chains of grocery stores that sell healthy foods. The chefs have changed almost everything for the better, or so I would like to think. Even school food is getting better! I am told. Food generally now seems to being prepared in more appetizing ways, but there is lots to do.

My experience has been that shopping for better quality food, especially coffees for your coffee breaks brings enormous personal benefits. I have moved off sugar and sweeteners in my coffee by eating something sweet alongside my coffee. That something is a something that I would have eaten anyway, such as a zone bar, or blueberry oat bar. I try stay away from anything that contains wheat flour, eggs, fructose, and milk.

Ever heard the expression that it is the white things that are bad for your health. It seems true in my case: white sugar, white sweetener, salt, white bread, white flour, white milk, and the white of an egg.

Places of Meditation

I have a places of meditation and they are not far from books and coffee. Avoid people and places that do not offer you peace and quiet. Develop an inner peace that comes from learning and from being at ease with yourself and your world. Begin quietly in a coffee shop alone with your thoughts. Then, gradually free your mind from your thoughts and just allow yourself to drift into a state of relaxation and meditation. Awaken after twenty minutes and join in the 'fun.'

YOU HAVE REACHED WOOH'S STREAM
The Internet User's Best Kept Secret

Sketches from scratches is a provocative blogspot that has grown out of the Wuh Lax experience. It is eclectic, which means that it might consider just about anything from the simple to the extremely difficult. A scratch can be something that is troubling me or a short line on paper. From a scratch comes a verbal sketch or image sketch of the issue or subject. Other sites have other stuff that should really be of interest to the broad reader. I try to develop themes, but variety often comes before depth. ... more!