Tuesday 11 March 2008

Taking a Bite From the Apple - Literally


My local grocery has started selling apples by the bag, but three types of apples within each bag, a bit of an apple deli. "My! They look nice," the check out lady exclaimed as I put them through, and added "I think I'll get some of those too!" Yes! They did look very pretty. Several were green, some were bright red, and some were a soft yellow. "I will start on the yellow ones first," I thought to myself."

Four yellow apples were eaten in a row during the next two days. Inevitably, there were only bright red and green apples left. I opted for a red apple and bit into it eagerly. What happened next was a major surprise. It started as a pain just about where one's stomach is. I was typing my blog at the time, and had to stand up. The pain had grown much sharper and was excruciating. Suddenly, I felt the pain rising up my throat and a major burst of air popped out my mouth, "UUUuuuuuuuuppppp" or something to that effect. The pain in my stomach subsided a little, but another "Uupppp" occured and then another. I sensed that the saliva in my mouth was foaming, so I rushed to the kitchen sink and spat out everything several times, all the while I was hiccuping "Uuupppp", "Uuupppp." About ten hiccups later and having spat out everything I could about a dozen times, I felt much better. "What the hell! I wondered to myself

The fact was that the apple tasted really good, but for some reason I had reacted badly to it. My stomach knew something that I did not. This time I thought, "I want to eat more apple, but I don't want to burp. What do I do? I didn't have the same problem with the yellow apples. What is going on?" The fact was that the red apples looked prettier than the yellow apples, but I recalled having had problems with red apples before, but not so obviously. "What do they put on the apples," I wondered.

My thoughts are that different apple growers treat their apples differently. Its not just the apples that the store is selling but apples that have been treated in some way by growers. My thoughts are that apples should be labelled in some way, and sure enough they are. You peel off a tiny label telling you who grew or who is distributing the apples. The final stage of the retailer is somewhat interesting because the retailer can bag apples to appeal to buyers and they can mix apples from different growers.

What we have here is a failure to communicate something to the buyer, me, the guy that sits down thinking all apples are the same. "What a mug I am!" I thought. I decided that from then on I would skin the red apples, but eat the yellow apples unskinned. What do you think I should do with the green apples? To peel or not to peel! I will try eating a green apple with the skin on. What do you think will be the result?

YOU HAVE REACHED WOOH'S STREAM
The Internet User's Best Kept Secret

Sketches from scratches is a provocative blogspot that has grown out of the Wuh Lax experience. It is eclectic, which means that it might consider just about anything from the simple to the extremely difficult. A scratch can be something that is troubling me or a short line on paper. From a scratch comes a verbal sketch or image sketch of the issue or subject. Other sites have other stuff that should really be of interest to the broad reader. I try to develop themes, but variety often comes before depth. ... more!